Happy Fourth of July!
When planning a party of picnic for the 4th there are many options for dessert – Apple Pie comes to mind. But how about the bounty of summer berries – Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and even more. This to me is what summer is all about. The recipe below is one of the easiest and most delicious I have in my repertoire. A summer berry trifle with a lemon cream Bavarian, I call it Red, White and Blueberry Trifle. Pound cake drizzled with sweet sparkling wine and layered with Cream and berries, it is surprisingly light and served well chilled, it is a refreshing dessert on a summer day.
Paired with an off dry Sparkler and you have perfect 4th of July dessert!
Moscato di asti is a natural but if like to keep it local Treveri makes a beautiful Demi Sec Sparkling Gewurztraminer.
Off dry gewürztraminer makes for truly spectacular Saprkling wine that plays perfectly with the berries in this dish. The wine is perfumed with notes of lychee, combined with rich tropical fruit, all-spice, nutmeg, and clove are balanced with an underlying acidity for a true expression of the varietal. 100% Gewurztraminer
Treveri Cellars is a family-owned and operated sparkling wine house that produces some of the finest handcrafted sparkling wines in the United States. A relative newcomer to the Washington wine scene, (2010) Treveri has already made its mark on the world stage being served at White House State Department receptions and the James Beard Foundation in New York. Quickly they rose to the attention of sommeliers, aficionados and the press being voted one of the nation’s Top Ten Hottest Brands of 2014 by Wine Business Monthly.
Red, White and Blueberry Trifle
8 oz loaf Pound cake
1 pint blueberries
1 pint straw berries
1 cup Lemon Curd
*** Pastry Cream,
3 cups milk
1 vanilla bean, split
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 Cups Cream, whipped
1 Cup Moscato di Asti or other demi- sec sparkling like Treveri Demi-Sec Gequrtztraminer
1. Heat milk with Vanilla bean. Beat egg yolks, with sugar and cornstarch until light and creamy. When milk comes to boil add egg sugar mixture. Whisk until combined. Custard will come together quickly. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Stir lemon curd into pastry cream. Let cool.
3. Fold into whipped Cream.
4. To assemble the trifle, spoon a layer of the lemon cream into a large glass bowl.
5. Add a layer of pound cake, breaking the slices into pieces that fit. Then soak the cake with Moscato. Add berries.
6. Keep going to make 3 or 4 more layers, depending on the size of the bowl, finishing with a layer of lemon cream. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh berries when ready to serve.
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 lemons, zested and juiced
2 tbl butter
1. In a double boiler combine sugar lemon and egg yolks. Cook over low heat until thickened add butter and cool.
4 oz Sugar
½ Cup Sugar
1 cup Cake Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
½ tsp salt
1. Cream butter and sugar to gather. Add eggs mix until incorporated. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture mix until well comined about 2 minutes.
2. Pour into loaf pan and bake at 350 for 30 – 45 minutes