When you meet Ben Riggs, after you get over the sheer size of the him, you see a man who is seems very comfortable in his own skin – a guy who would be as comfortable in a board room, a lab or a vineyard. But, talking to Ben you soon figure out that Ben sees himself primarily as a farmer.
Ben Riggs is one of the most sought after wine-making consultants in Australia. He has help craft wine in France, Napa, Greece and Italy. For a relatively young man, (let say around my own age.) he clocked in more than 42 vintages, 14 at the helm of his own winery in Wirra Wirra in McLaren Vale. Ben’s wines have won many awards and top scores in the media, he has twice been named Winemaker of the Year Gourmet Magazine (2005 & 2013).
Shiraz is Ben’s first love, McLaren Vale, Shiraz’s spiritual home, is Ben’s other love, and it is this dual passion that drives him to champion McLaren Vale Shiraz on a global scale.
2014 Thomas Goss Shiraz McLaren Vale $14.99
“An attractive, bright and clearly defined shiraz that offers up the full array of red to dark summer berry fruits, some plum too. All coached in attractive spicy mocha-scented oak. Balanced, ready to drink.”
91 points – James Suckling
The Shiraz grapes used to make this wine have been sourced from select vineyards in McLaren Vale including those planted on the original Goss property. McLaren Vale has one of the most consistent climates in which to grow premium wine grapes, particularly Shiraz.
The wine is made by Ben Riggs and Alexia Roberts, this wine has a long, soft and juicy palate and lush mouth-feel, bursting with blackberry, blueberry jam and licorice. This wine guarantees a true Australian Shiraz experience.
1 beef brisket (9-11 lb) Mesquite Charcoal 4 onces soaked wood chips in foil pouch
Rub: 2 tbsp. salt 2 tbsp. dry mustard 2 tbsp. cracked black pepper 2 tbsp. brown sugar 2 tbsp. Chili powder
Wrap 1 cup apple cider 4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Barbecue sauce 1 each Onion, diced 1 clove Garlic, Minced 2 cup Apple Cider ½ cup Cider Vinegar ½ cup Brown Sugar 1 cup Ketchup 1 cup Stone Ground Mustard 1 Tbsp. Tabasco 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
1. Clean brisket of any excess fat and silver skin.
2. Combine seasoning for rub.
3. Rub brisket with seasoning and let come to room temperature (1 hr.)
4. Light mesquite and move coals to one side of barbecue place wood chip pouch on coals.
5. When coals are ready place brisket on grill turning regularly.
6. After 30 to 40 minutes’ move brisket to cool side of grill, close and let smoke for 2 hours turning brisket regularly.
7. Remove brisket to roasting pan, add cider and Worchester, cover with foil.
8. Place in 250-degree oven for 4 -5 hours.
9. For Sauce: In bowl of blender combine onion, garlic and apple cider. Puree.
10. Add remaining ingredients and pulse
11. Pour into a sauce pan and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
12. Remove brisket from oven and let rest for 30 minutes.
13. Drain liquid from pan.
14. Place brisket on cutting board and slice against grain.
15. Serve with Barbecue sauce.